ETHINKSTL-034-Building Legacies And Opportunities in Construction
TWC Constructors and Atelier3 Design are Redefining Design and Changing the Landscape Of Construction.
An industry that will always be relevant and remain in demand is engineering and construction. Projections for the St. Louis region place the industry at over 4 billion dollars in the next few years. Despite the surplus of capable young men and women in this region there is a workforce shortage that threatens the industry.
Today we meet two very accomplished design and construction entrepreneurs who are making tremendous impact while creating opportunities. They are as committed to community as they are their businesses. Each one of these CEO’s is giving back, changing the landscape of the industry and building pathways for minorities within their design.
At 11 years old, Todd Weaver came to construction and design on a dare to find work in order to help his mother out. his unique story is likened to “The Blind Side” movie. As if it were divine design, his serendipitous collision with Clayco CEO, Bob Clark laid an unimaginable foundation of opportunity for his life to develop from an entirely different blueprint.
Admo Ogun was taken over by a love for the diverse landscape of this country while in America as an exchange student in college. This American site survey overwhelmed him and lured him back to St. Louis where he builds communities for and with the people it serves.
Both men were guided and influenced by men of standard and strength in their lives. Today, they both strive to strengthen the young men and women who follow. Their journeys have paralleled one another to find themselves grounded and invested in the future of underserved individuals, this community and the industry as a whole.
In this episode:
- What are the personal philosophies of these successful entrepreneurs?
- What perspective do they bring to this work?
- How has their experience in the industry shaped their commitment to community?
- Why the emphasis on minority contractors?
- As an entrepreneur, what hurdles or challenges did Todd and Admo overcome to be where they are today?
- What was the turning point for them in their businesses?
- What challenges and opportunities are there in the design, engineering, mechanical and construction industry?
- What advantages and opportunities are there for minority entrepreneurs in engineering and construction in our region?
- What do they want to create with their work and/or the way they operate their businesses?
- Their encouragement for those who are rethinking what’s possible with their entrepreneurial endeavors?